What We Talk About When We Talk About Magic
Andy and Anthony talk about the language we use to talk about Magic. Language is fundamental to social experiences, our favorite game included. Creating new language helps us communicate more effectively and helps us think about and compartmentalize concepts, shaping how we thing about things. But jargon has its drawbacks.
Our listener submitted pack 1, pick 1 this week comes from Mozart’s Cube.
Discussed in this episode:
- Venn diagrams and Euler Diagrams
- Venn diagrams for high number of sets
- Radiolab on linguistic relativity
- Language Thought and Reality
- List of sandwiches
- Gravity wells
- Patrick Chapin’s Next Level Deckbuilding
- Grizzle Bears alignment chart
- Andy’s “two mana renaissance” Cube update
- Neal Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon
- Enigma Machine
You can find the hosts’ Cubes on Cube Cobra:
If you have a question for the show, or want us to do a pack 1, pick 1 from your cube, email us at [email protected]. Please include how you’d like to be credited, your pronouns, a link to your cube if relevant. You can also find both your hosts in the MTG Cube Talk Discord.
If you’d like to show your support for the show, please leave us a review on iTunes or wherever you listen.
Musical production by DJ James Nasty.